Blog Commenting Etiquette
The purpose of commenting is to add value to Blog posts that you find interesting and to keep the online conversation about the topics that are being discussed alive. When commenting on a Blog post that someone has written, here are some rules that you will be expected to follow:
- Be respectful - Everybody wins when the conversation online is conducted in a respectful and open manner. You are allowed to disagree with someone's opinion, but try to disagree without becoming disagreeable.
- Report inappropriate contributions / comments - in order to contribute to an open dialogue, you have a responsibility to flag inappropriate posts and / or comments. If someone leaves something inappropriate in your comments, feel free to get rid of it. You don't owe them anything.
- Add to the conversation - When you post a comment, add something to the conversation. Responses like "great post" or "LOL" doesn't really add anything.
- Make it obvious that you have read the main post - When commenting, try to include information from the main post that you are talking about. Don't just read the headline and start commenting about whatever you want.
- Read and respond to your comments - Add value to your Blog by continuing the comment section by commenting on your comments. This will keep the dialogue going!